- At Kemp Little, we are known for our ability to serve the very particular needs of a large but diverse technology client base. Our hands-on industry know-how makes us a good fit with many of the world's biggest technology and digital media businesses, yet means we are equally relevant to companies with a technology bias, in sectors such as professional services, financial services, retail, travel and healthcare.
- Kemp Little specialises in the technology and digital media sectors and provides a range of legal services that are crucial to fast-moving, innovative businesses.Our blend of sector awareness, technical excellence and responsiveness, means we are regularly ranked as a leading firm by directories such as Legal 500, Chambers and PLC Which Lawyer. Our practice areas cover a wide range of legal issues and advice.
- Our Commercial Technology team has established itself as one of the strongest in the UK. We are ranked in Legal 500, Chambers & Partners and PLC Which Lawyer, with four of our partners recommended.
- Our team provides practical and commercial advice founded on years of experience and technical know-how to technology and digital media companies that need to be alert to the rules and regulations of competition law.
- Our Corporate Practice has a reputation for delivering sound legal advice, backed up with extensive industry experience and credentials, to get the best results from technology and digital media transactions.
- In the fast-changing world of employment law our clients need practical, commercial and cost-effective advice. They get this from our team of employment law professionals.
- Our team of leading IP advisors deliver cost-effective, strategic and commercial advice to ensure that your IP assets are protected and leveraged to add real value to your business.
- Our litigation practice advises on all aspects of dispute resolution, with a particular focus on ownership, exploitation and infringement of intellectual property rights and commercial disputes in the technology sector.
- We have an industry-leading reputation for our outsourcing expertise. Our professionals deliver credible legal advice to providers and acquirers of IT and business process outsourcing (BPO) services.
- We work alongside companies, many with disruptive technologies, that seek funding, as well as with the venture capital firms, institutional investors and corporate ventures that want to invest in exciting business opportunities.
- Our regulatory specialists work alongside Kemp Littles corporate and commercial professionals to help meet their compliance obligations.
- With a service that is commercial and responsive to our clients needs, you will find our tax advice easy to understand, cost-effective and geared towards maximising your tax benefits.
- At Kemp Little, we advise clients in diverse sectors where technology is fundamental to the ongoing success of their businesses.They include companies that provide technology as a service and businesses where the use of technology is key to their business model, enabling them to bring their product or service to market.
- We bring our commercial understanding of digital business models, our legal expertise and our reputation for delivering high quality, cost-effective services to this dynamic sector.
- Acting for market leaders and market changers within the media industry, we combine in-depth knowledge of the structural technology that underpins content delivery and the impact of digitisation on the rights of producers and consumers.
- We understand the risks facing this sector and work with our clients to conquer those challenges. Testimony to our success is the continued growth in our team of professionals and the clients we serve.
- We advise at the forefront of the technological intersection between life sciences and healthcare. We advise leading technology and data analytics providers, healthcare institutions as well as manufacturers of medical devices, pharmaceuticals and biotechnological products.
- For clients operating in the online sector, our teams are structured to meet their commercial, financing, M&A, competition and regulatory, employment and intellectual property legal needs.
- Our focus on technology makes us especially well positioned to give advice on the legal aspects of digital marketing. We advise on high-profile, multi-channel, cross-border cases and on highly complex campaigns.
- The mobile and telecoms sector is fast changing and hugely dependent on technology advances. We help mobile and wireless and fixed telecoms clients to tackle the legal challenges that this evolving sector presents.
- Whether ERP, Linux or Windows; software or infrastructure as a service in the cloud, in a virtualised environment, or as a mobile or service-oriented architecture, we have the experience to resolve legal issues across the spectrum of commercial computer platforms.
- Our clients trust us to apply our solutions and know-how to help them make the best use of technology in structuring deals, mitigating key risks to their businesses and in achieving their commercial objectives.
- We have extensive experience of advising customers and suppliers in the retail sector on technology development, licensing and supply projects, and in advising on all aspects of procurement and online operations.
- Our years of working alongside diverse software clients have given us an in-depth understanding of the dynamics of the software marketplace, market practice and alternative negotiating strategies.
- Working with direct providers of travel services, including aggregators, facilitators and suppliers of transport and technology, our team has developed a unique specialist knowledge of the sector
- Your life as an entrepreneur is full of daily challenges as you seek to grow your business. One of the key strengths of our firm is that we understand these challenges.
- Kemp Little is trusted by some of the worlds leading luxury brands and some of the most innovative e-commerce retailers changing the face of the industry.
- HR Bytes is an exclusive, comprehensive, online service that will provide you with a wide range of practical, insightful and current employment law information. HR Bytes members get priority booking for events, key insight and a range of employment materials for free.
- FlightDeck is our portal designed especially with start-up and emerging technology businesses in mind to help you get your business up and running in the right way. We provide a free pack of all the things no-one tells you and things they dont give away to get you started.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Kemp Little is committed to the principles and values of corporate social responsibility and these are reflected in our relationships with clients, employees, and the communities and environment in which we operate.
Our chosen charity
Kemp Little has chosen Pancreatic Cancer UK as its charity of the year for 2016/17.
Pancreatic Cancer UK is fighting to make a difference. We’re taking on pancreatic cancer together: by supporting those affected by the disease, investing in research, lobbying for greater recognition of pancreatic cancer, and being there for everyone involved in the fight.
For too long this disease has been sidelined. PCUK want to make sure that everyone touched by it gets the support and information they need.
Reading Partner Scheme
We are pleased to be part of the Reading Partners scheme which sees Kemp Little staff volunteer in The Globe primary school. The aim of the scheme is to provide children from Tower Hamlets with some individual time for reading and interaction that they may not get throughout the rest of the week. Each child has a set reading partner with whom they read to and build a relationship with over the course of the academic year.
To date, the reading scheme has nearly 200 businesses volunteering in over 66 different primary schools in the Tower Hamlets area. This includes 12 of our Kemp Little staff from all across the firm. We’re extremely proud to be part of this and hope to continue our support for this worthwhile scheme in the future.
Update for the 2013 - 2014 school year:
- 86% of pupils in Year 6 at The Globe school achieved the expected level in reading, compared to 79% across England.
- 95% of pupils across the borough felt that they had increased their concentration thanks to the scheme.
- 88% said that they felt braver in class as a result of working with a Business Volunteer.
- This is brilliant news for the children and demonstrates that just half an hour of reading a week can make a big difference.
Since 2011, when we first introduced a broad CSR policy, we have been delighted with the efforts of the entire firm to support our initiatives. Since maintain a variety of Community, Environmental, People and Supply-Chain initiatives. Some of our successes include:
- We removed desk bins and replaced with central recycling bins – in the first six months alone we recycled 2366 kgs of paper
- We took on our first apprentice placement in 2011 through the City Gateway scheme and have taken on three more apprentices in the past two years through schemes run by Skills People and QA. We have been delighted with the results and have found that our apprentices are fully engaged in their work, enthusiastic and always eager to learn more. We believe that an apprenticeship fully equips the individual with the skills necessary to do their job, to take the next step in their development and provides them with exceptional career prospects whilst also substantially benefiting the firm and fellow employees.
- We have provided pro bono legal advice for organisations such as the Arthritis Self-Help Network and,Independent Academic Research Studies.
- We maintain our commitment to the LawWorks legal clinic with participation from many of our lawyers providing over £19,000 of pro bono legal advice in the 2014/15 financial year.
- We continue to be actively involved in the Tower Hamlets school reading scheme
Pro Bono Work
Kemp Little has a strong tradition of providing pro bono work (free legal work for not-for-profit organisations that have no access to funding for legal advice) to various organisations, in a range of specialisms such as commercial matters, technology and services acquisitions, intellectual property, data protection, employment and litigation.
We encourage all our lawyers to participate and all pro bono matters are undertaken to the same high standard as work for our business clients.
We are a member of LawWorks and actively participate in their “Initial Electronic Advice” scheme to provide quick and user-friendly legal advice to pro bono clients. Our lawyers also attend a legal clinic at the Islington Law Centre to advise individuals on a variety of consumer, housing or other legal issues they face.
Recent pro bono matters, we have worked on are as follows:
- reducing a private school’s payment demand by half in relation to a pupil who could no longer attend due to the parent’s financial difficulties;
- recovering insurance monies owed in relation to a client’s car which was stolen and crashed by criminals and having the debt relating to storage costs for the written off car (levied by an affiliate of the insurance company) written off;
- successfully recovering client money relating to a cancelled student course under the Distance Selling Regulations; and
- providing a website development agreement for use by the Natural Death Centre.
If you have any queries about Kemp Little’s pro bono work please contact Andrew Joint.