- At Kemp Little, we are known for our ability to serve the very particular needs of a large but diverse technology client base. Our hands-on industry know-how makes us a good fit with many of the world's biggest technology and digital media businesses, yet means we are equally relevant to companies with a technology bias, in sectors such as professional services, financial services, retail, travel and healthcare.
- Kemp Little specialises in the technology and digital media sectors and provides a range of legal services that are crucial to fast-moving, innovative businesses.Our blend of sector awareness, technical excellence and responsiveness, means we are regularly ranked as a leading firm by directories such as Legal 500, Chambers and PLC Which Lawyer. Our practice areas cover a wide range of legal issues and advice.
- Our Commercial Technology team has established itself as one of the strongest in the UK. We are ranked in Legal 500, Chambers & Partners and PLC Which Lawyer, with four of our partners recommended.
- Our team provides practical and commercial advice founded on years of experience and technical know-how to technology and digital media companies that need to be alert to the rules and regulations of competition law.
- Our Corporate Practice has a reputation for delivering sound legal advice, backed up with extensive industry experience and credentials, to get the best results from technology and digital media transactions.
- In the fast-changing world of employment law our clients need practical, commercial and cost-effective advice. They get this from our team of employment law professionals.
- Our team of leading IP advisors deliver cost-effective, strategic and commercial advice to ensure that your IP assets are protected and leveraged to add real value to your business.
- Our litigation practice advises on all aspects of dispute resolution, with a particular focus on ownership, exploitation and infringement of intellectual property rights and commercial disputes in the technology sector.
- We have an industry-leading reputation for our outsourcing expertise. Our professionals deliver credible legal advice to providers and acquirers of IT and business process outsourcing (BPO) services.
- We work alongside companies, many with disruptive technologies, that seek funding, as well as with the venture capital firms, institutional investors and corporate ventures that want to invest in exciting business opportunities.
- Our regulatory specialists work alongside Kemp Littles corporate and commercial professionals to help meet their compliance obligations.
- With a service that is commercial and responsive to our clients needs, you will find our tax advice easy to understand, cost-effective and geared towards maximising your tax benefits.
- At Kemp Little, we advise clients in diverse sectors where technology is fundamental to the ongoing success of their businesses.They include companies that provide technology as a service and businesses where the use of technology is key to their business model, enabling them to bring their product or service to market.
- We bring our commercial understanding of digital business models, our legal expertise and our reputation for delivering high quality, cost-effective services to this dynamic sector.
- Acting for market leaders and market changers within the media industry, we combine in-depth knowledge of the structural technology that underpins content delivery and the impact of digitisation on the rights of producers and consumers.
- We understand the risks facing this sector and work with our clients to conquer those challenges. Testimony to our success is the continued growth in our team of professionals and the clients we serve.
- We advise at the forefront of the technological intersection between life sciences and healthcare. We advise leading technology and data analytics providers, healthcare institutions as well as manufacturers of medical devices, pharmaceuticals and biotechnological products.
- For clients operating in the online sector, our teams are structured to meet their commercial, financing, M&A, competition and regulatory, employment and intellectual property legal needs.
- Our focus on technology makes us especially well positioned to give advice on the legal aspects of digital marketing. We advise on high-profile, multi-channel, cross-border cases and on highly complex campaigns.
- The mobile and telecoms sector is fast changing and hugely dependent on technology advances. We help mobile and wireless and fixed telecoms clients to tackle the legal challenges that this evolving sector presents.
- Whether ERP, Linux or Windows; software or infrastructure as a service in the cloud, in a virtualised environment, or as a mobile or service-oriented architecture, we have the experience to resolve legal issues across the spectrum of commercial computer platforms.
- Our clients trust us to apply our solutions and know-how to help them make the best use of technology in structuring deals, mitigating key risks to their businesses and in achieving their commercial objectives.
- We have extensive experience of advising customers and suppliers in the retail sector on technology development, licensing and supply projects, and in advising on all aspects of procurement and online operations.
- Our years of working alongside diverse software clients have given us an in-depth understanding of the dynamics of the software marketplace, market practice and alternative negotiating strategies.
- Working with direct providers of travel services, including aggregators, facilitators and suppliers of transport and technology, our team has developed a unique specialist knowledge of the sector
- Your life as an entrepreneur is full of daily challenges as you seek to grow your business. One of the key strengths of our firm is that we understand these challenges.
- Kemp Little is trusted by some of the worlds leading luxury brands and some of the most innovative e-commerce retailers changing the face of the industry.
- HR Bytes is an exclusive, comprehensive, online service that will provide you with a wide range of practical, insightful and current employment law information. HR Bytes members get priority booking for events, key insight and a range of employment materials for free.
- FlightDeck is our portal designed especially with start-up and emerging technology businesses in mind to help you get your business up and running in the right way. We provide a free pack of all the things no-one tells you and things they dont give away to get you started.
Harnessing competitive advantage through technology
As technological evolution continues apace companies must meet the challenge or risk irrelevance and failure. Their challenge is to keep pace with developments to maintain their competitiveness and to future proof their businesses. The decisions faced by senior management and their lawyers become increasingly complex as they assess the case for adoption of new technologies and the accompanying challenges around exploitation, regulatory compliance, transition, data management, security and procurement.
The afternoon will comprise of three core sessions with Q&As and guest speakers.
- Data use - capitalising on the rise and refinement of personal profiling
This session will explore the impact of ever-improving customer profiling techniques and technologies across different business sectors, the increased prevalence of these tools and how best to navigate the complex laws and guidelines which affect their use. Calum Murray, Head of Commercial Technology, and Nicola Fulford, Head of Data Protection and Privacy, will be joined by Giles Pavey, Chief Data Scientist at dunnhumby to consider:
- assimilation of data from multiple sources
- cross-device profiling and
- intent-based profiling
- Maximising value in the outsourcing relationship
Done well, outsourcing can be a powerful tool not just to deliver cost efficiencies, but to help drive competitive advantage, improve business performance, and deliver business transformation. Yet, despite its maturity as a model, these outcomes are not guaranteed, and achieving success in an outsourcing relationship remains a challenge for many organisations.
In this session, Paul O’Hare, Head of Outsourcing at Kemp Little, and Andy Nelson, ex-Government CIO and an associate at Kemp Little Consulting, will look at the key ingredients of a successful outsourcing, from inception to exit, how to avoid some of the common pitfalls, and how multi-sourcing, cloud and other technology developments impact these areas.
- Disruptive technologies - future proofing and profiting
New technologies give any business an opportunity to disrupt the status quo. Very quickly the impossible can become more likely and the improbable the new ‘norm’ – and all are a challenge to any existing strategy.
This session will look at the opportunities and legal issues that could impact any business that are arising from newer 3D printing and AI technologies and will include practical demonstrations and an analysis of the business disruption caused. Andrew Joint, a partner in our commercial technology group, will be joined by speakers from Digital Forming, leaders in 3D design and manufacturing customisation technology, Chris Wray, a partner at Kemp Little Consulting and by Gerard Frith from Matter discussing AI.
- Keynote speaker
We will be hearing from Joanna Zonneveld, Associate Global GC from EY and EY Partner Hans Jessen as they discuss the role of the lawyer in a business being transformed and helping others transform and succeed with the benefits of technology. Joanna was recently recognised in The Lawyer ‘Hot 100’ 2015 for her significant role in upgrading EY’s infrastructure and supporting its rapid globalisation including managing the efficiency of the legal function.
At the venue there will also be an opportunity to:
- view Kemp Little FlightDeck - our portal designed especially with small and emerging technology companies in mind to provide online legal materials and guidance
- meet consultants from Kemp Little Consulting
Following the sessions there will be an opportunity to ask questions and to chat with all of our speakers over a drink.
This event is designed for senior in-house counsel, CEOs, CFOs, CTOs, and CIOs so please feel free to forward details on to your colleagues. #KLtechconf
Conference slides: Harnessing competitive advantage through technology
Audio recording playlist