- At Kemp Little, we are known for our ability to serve the very particular needs of a large but diverse technology client base. Our hands-on industry know-how makes us a good fit with many of the world's biggest technology and digital media businesses, yet means we are equally relevant to companies with a technology bias, in sectors such as professional services, financial services, retail, travel and healthcare.
- Kemp Little specialises in the technology and digital media sectors and provides a range of legal services that are crucial to fast-moving, innovative businesses.Our blend of sector awareness, technical excellence and responsiveness, means we are regularly ranked as a leading firm by directories such as Legal 500, Chambers and PLC Which Lawyer. Our practice areas cover a wide range of legal issues and advice.
- Our Commercial Technology team has established itself as one of the strongest in the UK. We are ranked in Legal 500, Chambers & Partners and PLC Which Lawyer, with four of our partners recommended.
- Our team provides practical and commercial advice founded on years of experience and technical know-how to technology and digital media companies that need to be alert to the rules and regulations of competition law.
- Our Corporate Practice has a reputation for delivering sound legal advice, backed up with extensive industry experience and credentials, to get the best results from technology and digital media transactions.
- In the fast-changing world of employment law our clients need practical, commercial and cost-effective advice. They get this from our team of employment law professionals.
- Our team of leading IP advisors deliver cost-effective, strategic and commercial advice to ensure that your IP assets are protected and leveraged to add real value to your business.
- Our litigation practice advises on all aspects of dispute resolution, with a particular focus on ownership, exploitation and infringement of intellectual property rights and commercial disputes in the technology sector.
- We have an industry-leading reputation for our outsourcing expertise. Our professionals deliver credible legal advice to providers and acquirers of IT and business process outsourcing (BPO) services.
- We work alongside companies, many with disruptive technologies, that seek funding, as well as with the venture capital firms, institutional investors and corporate ventures that want to invest in exciting business opportunities.
- Our regulatory specialists work alongside Kemp Littles corporate and commercial professionals to help meet their compliance obligations.
- With a service that is commercial and responsive to our clients needs, you will find our tax advice easy to understand, cost-effective and geared towards maximising your tax benefits.
- At Kemp Little, we advise clients in diverse sectors where technology is fundamental to the ongoing success of their businesses.They include companies that provide technology as a service and businesses where the use of technology is key to their business model, enabling them to bring their product or service to market.
- We bring our commercial understanding of digital business models, our legal expertise and our reputation for delivering high quality, cost-effective services to this dynamic sector.
- Acting for market leaders and market changers within the media industry, we combine in-depth knowledge of the structural technology that underpins content delivery and the impact of digitisation on the rights of producers and consumers.
- We understand the risks facing this sector and work with our clients to conquer those challenges. Testimony to our success is the continued growth in our team of professionals and the clients we serve.
- We advise at the forefront of the technological intersection between life sciences and healthcare. We advise leading technology and data analytics providers, healthcare institutions as well as manufacturers of medical devices, pharmaceuticals and biotechnological products.
- For clients operating in the online sector, our teams are structured to meet their commercial, financing, M&A, competition and regulatory, employment and intellectual property legal needs.
- Our focus on technology makes us especially well positioned to give advice on the legal aspects of digital marketing. We advise on high-profile, multi-channel, cross-border cases and on highly complex campaigns.
- The mobile and telecoms sector is fast changing and hugely dependent on technology advances. We help mobile and wireless and fixed telecoms clients to tackle the legal challenges that this evolving sector presents.
- Whether ERP, Linux or Windows; software or infrastructure as a service in the cloud, in a virtualised environment, or as a mobile or service-oriented architecture, we have the experience to resolve legal issues across the spectrum of commercial computer platforms.
- Our clients trust us to apply our solutions and know-how to help them make the best use of technology in structuring deals, mitigating key risks to their businesses and in achieving their commercial objectives.
- We have extensive experience of advising customers and suppliers in the retail sector on technology development, licensing and supply projects, and in advising on all aspects of procurement and online operations.
- Our years of working alongside diverse software clients have given us an in-depth understanding of the dynamics of the software marketplace, market practice and alternative negotiating strategies.
- Working with direct providers of travel services, including aggregators, facilitators and suppliers of transport and technology, our team has developed a unique specialist knowledge of the sector
- Your life as an entrepreneur is full of daily challenges as you seek to grow your business. One of the key strengths of our firm is that we understand these challenges.
- Kemp Little is trusted by some of the worlds leading luxury brands and some of the most innovative e-commerce retailers changing the face of the industry.
- HR Bytes is an exclusive, comprehensive, online service that will provide you with a wide range of practical, insightful and current employment law information. HR Bytes members get priority booking for events, key insight and a range of employment materials for free.
- FlightDeck is our portal designed especially with start-up and emerging technology businesses in mind to help you get your business up and running in the right way. We provide a free pack of all the things no-one tells you and things they dont give away to get you started.
- Robert Griffiths
- Managing Associate
- 020 7710 8007
- Acting for technology businesses in commercial litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution
- Obtaining urgent interim injunctions in relation to complex subject matter
- Disputes relating to IT and outsourcing, telecoms and digital media
- Corporate disputes, including joint ventures and claims relating to the sale and purchase of technology businesses
- Intellectual property claims, particularly trade marks, passing off, copyright design rights, database rights and database copyright, and confidential information
Robert is a managing associate in the Disputes team at Kemp Little. He specialises in resolving complex and valuable commercial disputes where technology is at the heart of the claim.
He has recently advised technology businesses in relation to complex contractual disputes relating to the performance of IT systems, overcharging for outsourced services, software and software licences, and termination issues. He acts in sectors including:
- IT and Outsourcing
- Telecoms (particularly in relation to MNOs, MVNOs and Infrastructure Providers)
- Retail and e-commerce
- Digital Media
- Financial Services (including fintech, e-money and mobile payments)
Many of Robert’s recent disputes have involved business critical subject matter, and the future of his clients’ businesses has been highly dependent on the outcome. In many of those claims, it has been necessary to obtain urgent interlocutory relief, including mandatory and prohibitory injunctions and freezing orders in order to maintain the contractual status quo or preserve assets.
Robert also has significant experience of acting in corporate disputes, cross border joint venture disputes and claims involving the sale and purchase of businesses, including breach of warranty disputes and disputes over valuations and earn outs.
He also advises clients on disputes relating to all aspects of soft IP, and has recently advised clients on claims relating to trade marks, copyright, registered and unregistered design rights, confidential information, database copyright and database rights. Robert has particular expertise in advising the fashion industry, having acted for some of the world’s leading fashion and luxury goods brands.
A significant proportion of Robert’s work has an overseas element. His recent cases have involved parties based in the US, the Middle East, India, West Africa, Central Europe (Germany, France and the Netherlands), Scandinavia and the Baltics.
He is a member of the Society for Computers and Law and IPSOC. He is also an active member of AIJA (International Association of Young Lawyers) and ITech Law and regularly attends and speaks at conferences and seminars throughout the world on a wide range of technology law issues.
Robert qualified in 2009 and joined Kemp Little in July 2016 from Penningtons Manches. He has a degree in Law and Politics from the University of Nottingham (2004).
- Advising a global household name consumer electronics brand in relation to a number of claims arising out of potential irregularities discovered in contractual audits of recruitment process outsourcing contracts.
- Acting for an e-money institution in successfully obtaining and maintaining an urgent interim injunction to prevent its payment and card services provider from severing services under a payment processing agreement prior to the contractual termination date. Maintaining the service enable the parties to reach a commercial settlement on favourable terms.
- Obtaining worldwide proprietary and freezing injunctions on behalf of Brainbox Digital Limited (an intermediary between online advertisers and online publishers) in vigorously contested High Court proceedings. Permission was subsequently obtained from the High Court to use the documents and information provided by the Defendants in compliance with the Freezing Injunction against other associated parties in Germany. The matter was settled following a 3 day settlement meeting. Brainbox Digital Brainbox Digital Ltd v Backboard Media GmbH & Anor  EWHC 2465 (QB) (06 October 2017)
- Acting for a leading broadcast systems integrator in defending a multimillion pound ICC arbitration claim relating to alleged breaches of a joint venture agreement in the Middle East.
- Advising a full service creative technology agency in relation to a dispute arising out of the dissolution of a joint venture company in the Middle East.
- Advising a MNO in relation to a number of contractual, regulatory and competition disputes arising out of its provision of mobile payment services to its customers through payment intermediaries.
- Acting for GigSky ApS, a Danish subsidiary of a Californian company, in a claim against Vodafone for damages for breach of a contract to provide network services and an injunction preventing its termination. Obtaining an extremely urgent without notice interim injunction under section 44 of the Arbitration Act 1996 obliging Vodafone to reinstate Gigsky’s network services and successfully fought off Vodafone’s challenge on the return date. (GigSky ApS v Vodafone Roaming Services S.A.R.L (Commercial Court) (16 October 2015))
- Providing IP and brand protection advice to some of the world’s foremost luxury fashion brands, including claims for trademark infringement, passing off, copyright infringement (including works of artistic craftsmanship), and registered and unregistered designs.