- At Kemp Little, we are known for our ability to serve the very particular needs of a large but diverse technology client base. Our hands-on industry know-how makes us a good fit with many of the world's biggest technology and digital media businesses, yet means we are equally relevant to companies with a technology bias, in sectors such as professional services, financial services, retail, travel and healthcare.
- Kemp Little specialises in the technology and digital media sectors and provides a range of legal services that are crucial to fast-moving, innovative businesses.Our blend of sector awareness, technical excellence and responsiveness, means we are regularly ranked as a leading firm by directories such as Legal 500, Chambers and PLC Which Lawyer. Our practice areas cover a wide range of legal issues and advice.
- Our Commercial Technology team has established itself as one of the strongest in the UK. We are ranked in Legal 500, Chambers & Partners and PLC Which Lawyer, with four of our partners recommended.
- Our team provides practical and commercial advice founded on years of experience and technical know-how to technology and digital media companies that need to be alert to the rules and regulations of competition law.
- Our Corporate Practice has a reputation for delivering sound legal advice, backed up with extensive industry experience and credentials, to get the best results from technology and digital media transactions.
- In the fast-changing world of employment law our clients need practical, commercial and cost-effective advice. They get this from our team of employment law professionals.
- Our team of leading IP advisors deliver cost-effective, strategic and commercial advice to ensure that your IP assets are protected and leveraged to add real value to your business.
- Our litigation practice advises on all aspects of dispute resolution, with a particular focus on ownership, exploitation and infringement of intellectual property rights and commercial disputes in the technology sector.
- We have an industry-leading reputation for our outsourcing expertise. Our professionals deliver credible legal advice to providers and acquirers of IT and business process outsourcing (BPO) services.
- We work alongside companies, many with disruptive technologies, that seek funding, as well as with the venture capital firms, institutional investors and corporate ventures that want to invest in exciting business opportunities.
- Our regulatory specialists work alongside Kemp Littles corporate and commercial professionals to help meet their compliance obligations.
- With a service that is commercial and responsive to our clients needs, you will find our tax advice easy to understand, cost-effective and geared towards maximising your tax benefits.
- At Kemp Little, we advise clients in diverse sectors where technology is fundamental to the ongoing success of their businesses.They include companies that provide technology as a service and businesses where the use of technology is key to their business model, enabling them to bring their product or service to market.
- We bring our commercial understanding of digital business models, our legal expertise and our reputation for delivering high quality, cost-effective services to this dynamic sector.
- Acting for market leaders and market changers within the media industry, we combine in-depth knowledge of the structural technology that underpins content delivery and the impact of digitisation on the rights of producers and consumers.
- We understand the risks facing this sector and work with our clients to conquer those challenges. Testimony to our success is the continued growth in our team of professionals and the clients we serve.
- We advise at the forefront of the technological intersection between life sciences and healthcare. We advise leading technology and data analytics providers, healthcare institutions as well as manufacturers of medical devices, pharmaceuticals and biotechnological products.
- For clients operating in the online sector, our teams are structured to meet their commercial, financing, M&A, competition and regulatory, employment and intellectual property legal needs.
- Our focus on technology makes us especially well positioned to give advice on the legal aspects of digital marketing. We advise on high-profile, multi-channel, cross-border cases and on highly complex campaigns.
- The mobile and telecoms sector is fast changing and hugely dependent on technology advances. We help mobile and wireless and fixed telecoms clients to tackle the legal challenges that this evolving sector presents.
- Whether ERP, Linux or Windows; software or infrastructure as a service in the cloud, in a virtualised environment, or as a mobile or service-oriented architecture, we have the experience to resolve legal issues across the spectrum of commercial computer platforms.
- Our clients trust us to apply our solutions and know-how to help them make the best use of technology in structuring deals, mitigating key risks to their businesses and in achieving their commercial objectives.
- We have extensive experience of advising customers and suppliers in the retail sector on technology development, licensing and supply projects, and in advising on all aspects of procurement and online operations.
- Our years of working alongside diverse software clients have given us an in-depth understanding of the dynamics of the software marketplace, market practice and alternative negotiating strategies.
- Working with direct providers of travel services, including aggregators, facilitators and suppliers of transport and technology, our team has developed a unique specialist knowledge of the sector
- Your life as an entrepreneur is full of daily challenges as you seek to grow your business. One of the key strengths of our firm is that we understand these challenges.
- Kemp Little is trusted by some of the worlds leading luxury brands and some of the most innovative e-commerce retailers changing the face of the industry.
- HR Bytes is an exclusive, comprehensive, online service that will provide you with a wide range of practical, insightful and current employment law information. HR Bytes members get priority booking for events, key insight and a range of employment materials for free.
- FlightDeck is our portal designed especially with start-up and emerging technology businesses in mind to help you get your business up and running in the right way. We provide a free pack of all the things no-one tells you and things they dont give away to get you started.
Fintech is experiencing a boom in innovation, investment and development. An area of convergence, it brings together Financial Regulation and areas of software, hardware, networks, telecoms, data, marketing and consumer rights, in ways that create legal and regulatory challenges for all participants, and necessitate partnerships between multiple sectors.
Having spent years specialising in both financial services and all emerging areas of technology, we are ideally placed to advise on this exciting area: not only are we used to adapting to new processes and solutions - and applying our knowledge to guide our clients through the risks and pitfalls – we also work closely with our partners at Kemp Little Consulting and their network of experts to understand where the technology is going next, and what that means for business.
Kemp Little and Kemp Little Consulting are offering new and established fintech businesses a free one-on-one advisory session. The session can cover whatever is on your mind – be that a general business structure health check, a chat about planning around your future growth, or regulatory, compliance and legal issues affecting your business. For further information or to book a session please contact Chris Wray at Kemp Little Consulting.
What we do
Our expertise includes:
- artificial intelligence
- cloud, telecoms and latency
- consumer rights and data protection
- cryptocurrencies and digital currencies
- data licensing strategies
- electronic payments
- employment in a regulated environment
- Financial Regulatory aspects
- hackathons, collaborations and PSD2
- marketing and white labelling agreements
- mobile payments
- open innovation and strategic relationships
- software and app development
- strategic partnerships between FS and retail companies
- support service for new and emerging fintech businesses through FlightDeck
Recent instructions include advising on:
a security application and service for high security use of mobile devices;
- supporting a financial institution’s fintech hub in its collaborations with start-ups and technology partners;
numerous apps, including for example an app for brokers, enabling them to search databases remotely so they might present clients with immediate solutions on the spot via tablets at client pitch meetings;
innovative lending platforms (including lending terms and conditions) and acquisition of digital finance businesses;
digital signature models and systems; and
innovative payment solutions.
For more information about fintech, see our articles:
- Fintech regulation likely to increase, warns Governor
- Biometrics in banking and payments (...but first let me take a selfie)
- FCA signals new crowd-funding rules
- Can the blockchain make our contracts smarter?
- CMA encourages banks to embrace tech innovation
- How blockchain can reshape financial services
- Mobile payments: technological, contractual and regulatory convergence
- The maturing equity crowdfunding market
- FCA's role in support of the development and adoption of regtech
- Fintech: letting the little boys kick sand
- Focus on fintech
- Mobile payments: regulatory landscape
- Call for input: regulatory barriers to innovation in digital and mobile solutions
- A new regulatory framework for payment systems in the UK
- FCA's new guidelines on financial promotions using social media (available on request)
- Mobile payments: technological contractual and regulatory convergence (available on request)